The Bluebird's Nest

">

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Little Devotional Moment

     My stated goal in blogging is "to show beauty in the little things and moments of life. " Most of our lives are made up of little moments, but some little moments can have big impacts!  For example, in my morning devotions (a little thing) I read a passage from 1Chronicles.
     In Chapters 11 & 12 there is a description of the mighty men who aligned themselves with David. These were excellent warriors, strong men who had amazing skill.  Benjaminites who could "shoot arrows and sling stones with either the right or the left hand." Gadites who were "mighty and experienced warriors, expert with shield and spear".  It also states that "these Gadites were officers of the army; the least was a match for a hundred men and the greatest for a thousand."  Imagine being able to take on a thousand men! At the end of chapter 12 it says that these mighty men came and made David king over Israel.
     I also had read 2 Samuel 5.  These two passages are from the same period in history.  It says in verse 12 that "David knew that the Lord had established him king over Israel, and that He had exalted his kingdom for the sake of His people Israel." That is the key to my point! It wasn't that David was so great in himself, or because of the mighty warriors who were loyal to David that he became king. It was all because of THE LORD! 
     Why does that matter for me?  Well, it it this: "Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain." (Psalm 127:1)  See, lately I have been working on getting myself organized: organizing my house by making a cleaning schedule, organizing my children (their schoolwork, helping them organize their rooms), organizing my menu, my pantry, etc... And there are many other things I would love to organize, my life (my closet), my husband's life, my children's lives, (i.e. relationships, choices, activities, etc.).... BUT, even if I had a PhD in organizing, I could end up being a failure!  See it isn't me, or my skills, or the amazing skills of others around me, it is the Lord Yahweh!  I need to depend upon Him as I seek to use the skills and resources that He has provided me to build my house for His sake.  It is for His glory!  May He be honored in the choices I make.  So a little thing like taking 10 little moments (minutes) to read my Bible can have a big impact on how I live!

No comments:

Post a Comment